Thursday, March 02, 2006

Buttermilk Bend Baptizing

Well my Grandma Gray was just a child when she got the Holy Ghost.
To be baptized in Jesus' name was what she earned for most.
Baptism in the trinity just wouldn't satisfy her.
She said I've got to do it right to escape hell's burning fire.

Well soon my Granny Gray grew up and had a family of her own.
Still searching for that one true church, she prayed and carried on.
Someone came by the house and said, "There's a preacher over on the river.
They say he's one of those One God men." and my Grandma's heart did quiver.

But my Grandpa said, "That's nonsense. That's all a bunch of stuff!"
But one day when he'd gone to work, my Granny had had enough!
So she put on her gingham bonnet. Took the kids down to the neighbor.
She said, "I'm gonna take the team and go over to Black River.

So, she hitched up the mules and wagon, and down the road they went!
For sixteen years she prayed and prayed and now a preacher God had sent!
She said, "Bury me in Jesus' name." The preacher was obliging.
Oh I wish I could've been there that day at the Buttermilk Bend baptizing.

Well now my Grandma's gone to heaven. She lives there with the Lord.
Four sons who preach the gospel, she left to carry on.
She instilled God's Holy Word in them, so it really isn't too surprising...
that any one of them will baptize you at a Buttermilk Bend baptizing!

OH! She hitched up the mules and wagon, and down the road they went!
For sixteen years she prayed and prayed and now a preacher God had sent!
She said, "Bury me in Jesus' name." The preacher was obliging.
Oh I wish I could've been there that day at the Buttermilk Bend baptizing.

Well many years have come and gone since this story has been told.
And the footsteps of this lady, I now follow down life's road.
And when it's time for bedtime stories, and my children gather 'round me,
their favorite is Grandma Gray and the Buttermilk Bend baptizing!

She hitched up the mules and wagon, and down the road they went!
For sixteen years she prayed and prayed and now a preacher God had sent!
She said, "Bury me in Jesus' name." The preacher was obliging.
Oh I wish I could've been there that day at the Buttermilk Bend baptizing.

Oh yes they baptized her in Jesus' name!...at the Butermilk...Bend...bap..ti...zing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home