Saturday, February 04, 2006

Evolution of an Anarcho-Capitalist

Excerpts fromEvolution of an Anarcho-Capitalist:
by Rick Gee
August 3, 2001

"Concerned that government grew ever larger and more intrusive even when Republicans occupied the Oval Office, I was assured by GOP politicians and their spokesmen in the media that if only they could gain control of Congress, by God they could reduce the size and scope of the federal government.

That chance came in 1994, when a stunned nation learned that for the first time in some 40 years, the party of Lincoln would control both bodies of the legislative branch. They vowed to reduce federal spending, taxes, and regulation. Of course, none of this happened. GOP apologists next claimed that it wasn’t enough to control Congress, what with Bill Clinton brandishing his veto pen. No, they would need a Republican in the White House to sign their 'revolutionary' policies into law. Inexplicably, they nominated Bob Dole, thus ensuring another four years of Clinton and another four years of making excuses.

It was at that point that I came to the full realization that the Republicans, once in power, were just as wicked and corrupt as the Democrats. The two-party system that had been exalted my entire life was really a one-party looting band. So for most of Clinton’s second term, the Impeachment Term, if you will, I didn’t have much interest in what was happening in Washington. I suppose I was disenchanted and pessimistic about the prospects of having anyone in D.C. representing my values.

Then late one Sunday night I happened upon a talk radio show hosted by Harry Browne. At the time, I didn’t know who he was; I was unaware that he had run for President in 1996. But the substance of his comments caught my attention. He was talking about the ineptitude of government, not from a partisan, party-politics viewpoint, but from the viewpoint of freedom versus both parties. When he started talking about the wisdom of eliminating the income tax and the Social Security tax, my ears really perked up. Here was someone saying what I was thinking! I’d never heard anyone talk that bluntly about the evils of government."

Just four years ago I voted for Bob Dole, and today I am reading Human Action and The Road to Serfdom and The Law. I have become such a partisan of liberty, my philosophy has evolved so dramatically and rapidly, that I now believe everyone would be better off in an anarcho-capitalist society where the free market of voluntary exchange obviates the need for a coercive state apparatus. Sure, millions of bureaucrats and various government functionaries would have to find real jobs, but those jobs would be plentiful in a truly free marketplace, and anyone who wanted to work would have ample opportunity.

If I can undergo such a metamorphosis, anyone can. One merely needs to have an open mind and be willing to question conventional wisdom. One may need to proactively seek information beyond that which is disseminated by the state-worshiping media. But the information is available, and the facts are compelling: an America with truly free markets, individual liberty, and severely emasculated (if not abolished) government will be the key to harmony at home and peace abroad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home